A Top Priority
Choosing how you feed your baby is one of the most important decisions you will make as a new parent. Today, more and more couples are choosing to breastfeed and finding they have a surprising amount of support.
"Babies Are Born To Breastfeed"
The above slogan is from the 2004 national breastfeeding campaign. The campaign focused on the risks of not breastfeeding. It brought to light how important breastfeeding is for your baby’s health, making breastfeeding a national priority.
A WIC Priority
WIC supports breastfeeding in the following ways:
• Every WIC agency features a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor program with trained breastfeeding coordinators.
• A variety of breast pumps are available in each agency to meet the needs of breastfeeding mothers.
• All WIC staff are trained in breastfeeding.
• All WIC clinics are breastfeeding-friendly.
• Support groups and helpful material without the influence of commercial infant formula companies.
Click here to learn more about the NYS WIC program.